Thursday, January 28, 2010

Rose Colored Glasses - The Cheri Factor

For many years I was told that I had no idea of reality because I looked at the world through my rose colored glasses. It was often said in frustration. At times I became defensive at this. I do understand reality, yet I choose to see the world from my rose colored perspective. I would much rather live this way than in the world of judgment and fear. I prefer to see the world and the universe from a loving perspective. I choose to see the good in everyone and believe that we all have light that shines. Some are more dimmed, yet the potential for radiating is always there. I am inclined to trust people and believe in their goodness. I have always preferred to see the glass as half full. I forgive easily and do not stay angry. If this is looking at the world through rose-colored glasses, I will choose this any day.

My son used to call me “Positive Patty” because I refused to consider the negative alternatives and encouraged him always to see the bright side of things. It is just as possible that things will work out, as it is that they will not, I told him. He would say, but I am always disappointed if I expect it to be a certain way. Now I know that my son was correct in his assessment. It is the meaning we attach to the expectations that cause us disappointment. It is being attached to a particular outcome. If I knew then what I know now, I would have listened to what he said more openly and helped him to see that if we are open to the experience and all the good that can come from it, then disappointment is not waiting for us. I think perhaps I knew this intuitively for my own experience, I had not yet learned to express or understand it fully.

When my children were young, I did not know about the Law of Attraction, yet I did know that how we think and having confidence were very important to how our life played out. I did not just think. I also took action. I was so busy taking action toward what I wanted; yet the piece that was missing was hearing what came to me in stillness. I also felt in my body what was right for me, and yet ignored the signals.

So although I was always positive in my thinking, I have come to understand that it is not just having positive thoughts that contribute to how life plays out for us. It is also the underlying beliefs that we have, and the emotions stuck in our body, the energy we hold, and the action we take from these perspectives.

I have always been so fortunate and I learned a long time ago to be grateful for every little thing, and chosen to be happy in spite of any circumstance. I always reached for love. Now I have learned to receive love. I looked for the positive slant, the silver lining, what was good. If that is looking at the world through rose colored glasses, than indeed I do. How about you? Are you ready to put those glasses on?

No comments: