Wednesday, May 27, 2009

AT&T May Have Swayed Idol Outcome to Favor Kris Allen


Per Yahoo’s OMG
AT&T May Have Swayed Idol Outcome to Favor Kris Allen

Us Magazine - May 27, 2009 5:32 AM PDT

The New York Times is reporting that American Idol's Kris Allen may have had a little help from AT&T, one of the Fox show's biggest corporate sponsors, in winning this year.

According to the Times, AT&T provided phones for free text-messaging services at two Allen parties in Arkansas on the night of the finals. Citing sources, The Times reports that AT&T reps showed party-goers how to "power text" -- cast 10 votes at the touch of a button -- which violates show rules.

Power texts, according to the Times, "have an exponentially greater effect on voting than do single text messages or calls to the shows toll-free phone lines."

No similar efforts appear to have been made to provide free texting services to Adam Lambert fans.

Angry Lambert supporters are now claiming in online chat boards that the competition's voting was rigged.

While Fox has yet to comment, AT&T issued the following statement: "In Arkansas, we were invited to attend the local watch parties organized by the community. A few local employees brought a small number of demo phones with them and provided texting tutorials to those who were interested."

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette first reported on the possible skewed voting last week.

Normally I don't make any negative comments or share something of a negative nature. I truly believe that we get back what we give out and I promote positive energy because that's what I want in return. But every once in a while something happens that I feel needs sharing. If this is true that ATT employees skewed the American Idol results then that is not right. This is supposed to be a talent contest and it is supposed to be determined by fair voting not skewed because of technical capabilities of one company. Big business is not supposed to be in control of this country, TV or anything else. I don't blame the people who did the block voting but I certainly blame the company that might have made it possible. I would really like to know what ATT and against Adam Lambert. Let me repeat - this is a talent competition, not a lifestyle one. I'm a little embarrassed now to say that ATT provides my cell service.
To leave this on a positive note - I really liked Kris. He seems like a really nice guy and did some great work. I just don't think he earned the top spot. These are my personal viewpoints not that of Applaudwomen.com
For more information and articles of interest to women in NH and MA and of a positive nature please visit us at www.applaudwomen.com. If you have any comments please feel free to contact me directly at applaud@comcast.net

No comments: